[DEV] ReIMG Image Resizer

Any and all extensions I have created for phpBB3 will be listed here and support will be provided.
DavidIQ
Site Admin

[DEV] ReIMG Image Resizer

Post by DavidIQ »

ReIMG.png
ReIMG.png (5.36 KiB) Viewed 40984 times
A port-over of the popular MOD, the extension version of ReIMG brings the same functionality and extends on the previously existing image resizing features from the MOD while using the jQuery library included in 3.1.

Resizes user-posted images that are too large, optionally overlaying a zoom button to view the original-sized image (optionally in a lightbox).

Features:
  • Images are resized (downscaled) client-side using javascript.
  • Images don't first load in large format and then collapse, but instead appear only after they have been resized already. (Likely removing this "feature")
  • An optional zoom button is overlayed on top of resized images, so you can click to the original-sized image. This button will not mess up a URL the poster might have placed around the image. :)
  • The original-sized image can open in the current window, in a new window, or in a cool lightbox. 8-)
  • Only user-posted images posted using img BBCode or uploaded as attachment are resized.
  • You can specify the maximum dimensions in pixels (e.g. 640x480) and/or a maximum relative width (e.g. 80%).
  • All settings (maximum dimensions, zooming method) can be changed from the Administration Control Panel.
  • jQuery-optimized JavaScript
Github repo
DavidIQ
Site Admin

Re: [DEV] ReIMG Image Resizer

Post by DavidIQ »

Initial ACP module and migration work is complete:
ACP Module
ACP Module
REIMG_ACP.png (65.88 KiB) Viewed 40982 times
Working on the JavaScript magic now.
colinshead

Post by colinshead »

Hi

Very happy that the REIMG Extension for 3.1 is being worked on, it is a most useful feature.

Question - in the current version of the Extension there is no ability to set the maximum displayed image size; is this a feature you intend to implement?

Also an idea for future development. If the resizing could be achieved server side it would mean that the often overly large original image files would not have to be downloaded to the client, thus speeding up display when a lot of images are involved.

All the best

Colin
DavidIQ
Site Admin

Post by DavidIQ »

The maximum displayed image size setting was removed because phpBB already imposes a max image size. The setting might come back later but for now it's not present. As for resizing server side that's beyond the scope of the current ReIMG version (3.0) but is planned for the next (3.1). This last one has had a lengthy discussion over on phpbb.com so I've tried to gather enough information to implement. We'll see I guess. ;)
colinshead

Post by colinshead »

Hi David

I did not know this functionality exists in 3.1. thanks, but it does depend on having imagemagick installed, which on my server it is not, so I am hoping to persuade my ISP to install as I do not have root access to the server.

All the best

Colin
DavidIQ
Site Admin

Post by DavidIQ »

No it doesn't depend on Imagemagick. The image sizing phpBB 3.1 does for posted images (using the IMG tag) is through CSS using the max-width style property. Those types of posted images are not physically altered in any way. What could depend on Imagemagick might be what plupload does with uploaded images. Those get resized based on the board's file size settings, but I'm not too familiar with the inner workings of plupload to make that determination.
colinshead

Post by colinshead »

Many thanks for the information, and thanks again for the Extension.

All the best

Colin
windowslasvegas369

Post by windowslasvegas369 »

the REIMG Extension for 3.1 is being worked on?
DavidIQ
Site Admin

Post by DavidIQ »

Yes, albeit very slowly. :(
racingnetwork

Post by racingnetwork »

Hello I installed the extension, but I do not have the boxes maximum size and do not understand why.
I am attaching a photo
https://40.media.tumblr.com/40e487e766b ... o1_540.png

Hello and thanks
DavidIQ
Site Admin

Post by DavidIQ »

Yes it is not at all ready for use, which is why it won't work if you try it. You'll actually get pop-up messages if you manage to get it working. You should just uninstall, delete data, and delete the extension directory. It will be a while before this is ready for use.
ceb1977

Post by ceb1977 »

hello, i'm under phpbb 3.1.6 and when i extract the zip file in the ext folder and rename it, it doesn't appear in the extension as disabled
what i make wrong ?? :oops:
DavidIQ
Site Admin

Post by DavidIQ »

Nothing. This extension is not really installable so you can go ahead and delete it from your forum until there is an alpha or beta release.
ceb1977

Post by ceb1977 »

DavidIQ wrote:Nothing. This extension is not really installable so you can go ahead and delete it from your forum until there is an alpha or beta release.
Thanks for your answer, do you know when the extension will be released
ashishpatel1992

Post by ashishpatel1992 »

Can I install this plugin in phpBB 3.1.6 directly?
I am not talking about extension. Just directly to make it work?