CMS - phpbb integrations

Need help with your forum? Ask away. Remember though that there's always http://www.phpbb.com/community

Moderator: Experts

Master_Cylinder

CMS - phpbb integrations

Post by Master_Cylinder »

I posted this on the area51 forum but I didn't much input (maybe I should have posted it on the phpbb forums instead) but I see you do theme/template consulting so I thought I'd try here too...

I'm starting development on a new project and before I get too deep I thought I'd seek some input.

It's basically a product/service review site with forums. Manufacturers send me products or request secret service reviews, I review it and forum members can discuss products, ask for help/advice, etc.

My first thought was to use a modified/themed wordpress install and use an integration plugin for phpbb but maybe wp is overkill. The nice thing about using wp is that it's similar to phpbb in that there are many themes and plugins available. Still I know there are other options. Joomla, phpnuke, drupal, etc...

Ideas?
DavidIQ
Site Admin

Re: CMS - phpbb integrations

Post by DavidIQ »

Sorry...for some reason I didn't seem to get notice of this post. I'm not sure I'd go for phpnuke. I'd either go with WP or even Joomla to be honest but only if a particular theme that I liked was not available for phpBB or one similar to it was not available. Having a bridge available is also a plus.
Master_Cylinder

Yeah, I ruled out phpnuke. While it would work, I'd still need custom post templates and more people know WP than phpnuke these days. It is nice that WP has a couple of phpBB bridge plugins. WP seems to have a better system for themes and plugins than phpBB does, I can change themes and install plugins without breakage or having to edit by hand.

I've got most of it built and most of my desired mods/plugins installed but a couple of mods are being difficult and I may need them modified anyway. I think I should wait on phpBB style changes until I get the mods done. For now I'm using almost stock prosilver with a quick logo that I made on the phpBB side. On the WP side I have a theme that works OK but needs tweaking...or replacing if I ever find a better review theme.

Do you do wordpress themes/plugins too? I assume they're built a lot like phpBB styles and mods.

*shrug*
DavidIQ
Site Admin

Post by DavidIQ »

I would imagine it's a lot like our events system coming up in 3.1 or like our hooks system in the current 3.0 line. I've never done any themes or plugins for WP however. I've not had the pleasure of doing anything in WP as a mater of fact. :)
Master_Cylinder

I don't know what they use but it's slick... I never have problems with WP themes or plugins breaking core functionality, I never have to edit anything to get them to install or play well with other plugins. If I try a bad plugin or theme, I just deactivate it and delete it. I wish phpBB was that slick with styles and mods; hopefully, 3.1 will be better.

Since WP is AMP based, like phpBB, I assumed that modifying would be similar. I think phpBB people could ramp up quickly to WP and vice versa. With the right bridge, a matching or complementary style/theme, combining WP and phpBB adds a lot of value to some sites, I think. That's what I'm trying to do anyway. One problem is finding the right combo of mods/plugins to get all of the features that I want. Another problem is the logos/graphics/web design/web content stuff to make it look good. It's been a slow process... ;)